READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS A WEEK BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
If you have questions, please call our office or visit www.southdenveras.com.
7 OR MORE DAYS BEFORE THE ERCP
- If you take BLOOD THINNERS we will obtain authorization from your prescribing doctor for you to hold them. We will call you with specific instructions. If we have not called you at this time, please call our office immediately.
- If you take Warfarin, Coumadin or Jantoven, you must have your PT/INR checked the day before your procedure. We will give you specific instructions for this test.
- DO NOT STOP heart, blood pressure or other regular medication unless your doctor instructs you to do so. You may continue to take aspirin as prescribed.
- You will be scheduled with anesthesia. The anesthesiologist may contact you to review your medical history, medications and allergies. Tell us now if you are allergic to soy, peanuts or egg yolks.
- If you are on medication for DIABETES, check with the doctor that prescribes it because you may need a dose change the day before or the day of your procedure.
- If you monitor your blood sugar continue to do this at your usual times.
- If you take any prescription type weight loss medication such as Phentermine you must hold it for 7 days before the procedure, because of possible adverse drug interactions with the anesthetic medications.
- If you use inhalers for asthma bring them with you.
1 DAY BEFORE THE ERCP
- CONFIRM your arrangements with a licensed driver, who is at least 18 years of age and can stay on the premises.
- NO SOLID FOOD AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR ERCP.
- It is important for the stomach to be empty so the physician can see the entire area and to prevent the possibility of vomiting during the procedure.
THE DAY OF THE ERCP
- AFTER______________YOU MAY NOT DRINK ANY MORE LIQUIDS, INCLUDING WATER.
- If you are a DIABETIC and monitor your blood sugar, please check it before you leave for the procedure.
- Wear comfortable, loose clothing with short sleeves, low heeled shoes and socks.
- YOU MAY HAVE CLEAR LIQUIDS FROM THIS LIST UNTIL 4 (FOUR) HOURS BEFORE THE PROCEDURE:
- Broth or consommé
- Clear broth (chicken, vegetable or beef bouillon)
- Tea or coffee (No cream, milk or non-dairy creamer)
- Kool-Aid (No red or purple) or Gatorade/PowerAde
- White Cranberry Juice
- Apple Juice
- Italian Ices / Popsicles
- Hard candy
- YOU MAY NOT HAVE anything red or purple, milk, milk products, non-dairy creamers, orange or grapefruit juice.