UPPER ENDOSCOPIC ULTRASONOGRAPHY INSTRUCTIONS
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS A WEEK BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
If you start blood thinner or weight loss medications after scheduling your procedure or have questions, please call our office at 303-788-8888.
7 OR MORE DAYS BEFORE THE UPPER EUS
- Arrange for a licensed driver, at least 18 years of age. Your procedure will be cancelled if you do not have a ride.
- If you take BLOOD THINNERS we will obtain authorization from your prescribing doctor for you to hold them. We will call you with specific instructions. If we have not called you at this time, please call our office immediately.
- If you take Warfarin, Coumadin or Jantoven, you must have your PT/INR checked the day before your procedure. We will give you specific instructions for this test.
- DO NOT STOP heart, blood pressure or other regular medication unless your doctor instructs you to do so. You may continue to take aspirin as prescribed.
- If you are scheduled to have anesthesia, the anesthesiologist may contact you to review your medical history, medications and allergies. Tell us now if you are allergic to soy, peanuts or egg yolks.
- If you are on medication for DIABETES, check with the doctor that prescribes it because you may need a dose change the day before or the day of your procedure.
- If you monitor your blood sugar continue to do this at your usual times.
- If you take a prescription type weight loss medication such as Phentermine you must hold it for 7 days before the procedure, because of possible adverse drug interactions with the anesthetic medications.
- DO NOT STOP Contrave or Naltrexone.
- If you use inhalers for asthma bring them with you.
- Using the list below, plan for the clear liquids you may drink before your EUS.
- Sedation: Conscious (goal is to keep you comfortable / you may or may not sleep) OR: Anesthesia/MAC (you will sleep). Both may leave you feeling groggy, dizzy, sleepy or nauseous. Vomiting may occur.
1 DAY BEFORE THE UPPER EUS
- CONFIRM your arrangements with a licensed driver, who is at least 18 years of age and can stay on the premises.
- NO SOLID FOOD AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR EUS.
- It is important for the stomach to be empty so the physician can see the entire area and to prevent the possibility of vomiting during the procedure.
THE DAY OF THE UPPER EUS
- YOU MAY HAVE CLEAR LIQUIDS FROM THIS LIST UNTIL 4 (FOUR) HOURS BEFORE THE PROCEDURE:
- Clear broth (chicken, vegetable or beef bouillon)
- Broth or consommé
- Coffee (No cream, milk or non-dairy creamer)
- Kool-Aid (No red or purple)
- White cranberry juice
- Apple Juice
- Lemonade/ Limeade
- Italian Ices / Popsicles
- Hard candy
- YOU MAY NOT HAVE anything red or purple, milk, milk products, non-dairy creamers, juices with pulp, nectar or alcoholic beverages.
- AFTER 4 HOURS PRIOR TO THE PROCEDURE YOU MAY NOT DRINK ANY MORE LIQUIDS, INCLUDING WATER.
- ONLY EXCEPTION: Take heart, blood pressure and anti-seizure medications with small sips of water at the time you normally would.
- If you are a DIABETIC and monitor your blood sugar, please check it before you leave for the procedure.
- Wear comfortable, loose clothing with short sleeves and low heeled shoes and socks.