SUFLAVE COLONOSCOPY PREP
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS A WEEK BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
If you start blood thinner or weight loss medications after scheduling your procedure or have questions,
please call our office at 303-788-8888 or visit www.southdenvergi.com.
- GETTING HOME: you will not be able to drive, work, make any personal or business decisions, or operate any heavy machinery for 24 hours after your procedure. The medicines you were given can change the way you think and make it harder to remember for the rest of the day. As a result, you will not be allowed to leave alone and will need an adult friend or family member to take you home. Failure to arrange a driver will result in cancellation of your procedure.
- TRANSPORTATION SERVICES: If you do not have a responsible adult to accompany you home, there are transportation services you may use who have drivers that are trained in CPR and first aid. They are also permitted to sign your discharge papers after your procedure to make sure you make it home safely. You will need to set up your reservation with them prior to your procedure: Mobility Transportation: 303-295-3900 or Midtown Express: 303-282-8085.
- AVOID: seeds and nuts for 1 week prior to your colonoscopy.
- Pick up your supplies for your colonoscopy 1 week prior of your appointment:
- Pharmacy: 1 Suflave bowel prep kit
- Grocery Store:
- 4- chewable tabs of Simethicone or Gas-X tablets (any color, flavor or brand)
- Clear Liquids (see list below).
Clear Liquid Diet:
Clear Juice (apple, lemonade)
Sport drinks (Gatorade, Powerade)
Flavored Drinks (Kool-Aid, MiO)
Hot Drinks (Tea, Coffee)
Things to AVOID:
NO Red and Purple liquids
NO Solid Foods
NO Pulp in Juice
NO Nectar Drinks
NO Dairy and Nondairy Creamer
MEDICATIONS AND DEVICES
- Diabetes medications: please contact your prescribing provider’s office for instructions on taking.
- Blood thinning medications: (Eliquis, Coumadin, Xarelto, Pradaxa, etc.) ensure you have gotten pre-procedure instructions 1 week before your procedure. If not, please call the RN line: 303-761-8336.
- Prescription weight loss medications: (Phentermine) stop at least 7 days before your procedure.
- DO NOT STOP regular medications; unless told to do so.
- Take heart and blood pressure medications ACCORDING TO SCHEDULE and DO NOT MISS DOSES; unless told to do so.
- DO NOT STOP taking Naltrexone or Contrave if scheduled with Propofol. Hold Naltrexone for at least 72 hours with conscious sedation.
- INHALERS: please use your inhaler before coming in for your procedure and bring it with you.
- CPAP: FOR HOSPITAL PROCEDURES ONLY, please bring this with you.
CPAP or Inhalers: FOR HOSPITAL PROCEDURES ONLY, please bring this with you.
PROCEDURE PREP INSTRUCTIONS
**PLEASE DISCARD INSTRUCTIONS INSIDE SUTAB BOX & FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THIS PAGE**
PREPARING FOR YOUR COLONOSCOPY
ONE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
- Start a CLEAR LIQUID DIET in the morning
- ***If you have a procedure scheduled in the afternoon (1pm-4:30pm) you may have a light breakfast (eggs, white toast) before 9:00 AM today and then start a clear liquid diet. ***
Start at 5:00 PM the Day Prior to Colonoscopy
- At 5:00PM Prepare both SUFLAVE prep doses: Remove 1 flavor sachet and add it to first prep bottle. Fill the container with lukewarm water to the line and shake the mixture until all of the powder is dissolved. Repeat this step with the remaining dose sachet and prep bottle. Place both bottles in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour
- At 6:00PM: Remove the one bottle of prep from the refrigerator. Drink one 8 oz glass of SUFLAVE prep every 15-30 minutes until the prep bottle is finished.
- Chew 2 Simethicone/Gas-X tablets.
- Drink 2 additional 8 oz. glasses of clear liquids.
- You may continue to drink any of the other clear liquids you have chosen throughout the evening
6 Hours Prior to Colonoscopy
- 6 hours before your procedure, remove the remaining bottle of prep from the refrigerator.
- Drink one 8 oz glass of SUFLAVE prep every 15-30 minutes until the prep bottle is finished.
- Chew 2 Simethicone/Gas-X tablets.
- Drink 2 additional 8 oz glasses of clear liquids. You may continue to drink any of the other clear liquids you have chosen until 4 hours before your procedure.
DAY OF PROCEDURE:
No gum, hard candy, chewing tobacco, cigarettes, marijuana, cigars, pipes, e-cigarettes, or illicit drugs.
***If you have any heart, blood pressure, or anti-seizure medications you may take them with small sips of water when you usually take these medications.***
4 hours before your procedure:
- STOP drinking all liquids, including water. This is for your safety. Anything after 4 hours can delay or cancel your procedure.
Following the second dose, your bowel movements should be clear, yellow, or tea colored. If bowel movements aren’t clear, yellow, or tea-colored, or contain any solids, please call the on-call physician: 303-788-8888 to be given further instructions or to discuss if you will need to be rescheduled.
Bring your ID, Insurance Card, & a Form of Payment for Check-in