READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS A WEEK BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
If you start Blood Thinner or Weight loss medications after scheduling your procedure or have questions,
please call our office at 303-788-8888 or visit www.southdenvergi.com.
GETTING HOME: you will not be able to drive, work, make any personal or business decisions, or operate any heavy machinery for 24 hours after your procedure. The medicines you were given can change the way you think and make it harder to remember for the rest of the day. As a result, you will not be allowed to leave alone
and will need an adult friend or family member to take you home.
Failure to arrange a driver will result in cancellation of your procedure.
TRANSPORTATION SERVICES: If you do not have a responsible adult to accompany you home, there are transportation services you may use who have drivers that are trained in CPR and first aid. They are also permitted to sign your discharge papers after your procedure to make sure you make it home safely. You will need to set up your reservation with them prior to your procedure:
Mobility Transportation: 303-295-3900 or Midtown Express: 303-282-8085.
AVOID: seeds and nuts for 1 week prior to your colonoscopy.
Pick up your supplies for your colonoscopy 1 week prior of your appointment:
- Pharmacy:1 SuPrep bowel prep kit
- Grocery Store: 4 chewable tabs of Simethicone or Gas-X tablets (any flavor, brand, or color) & clear liquids (see list below).
Clear Liquid Diet
Clear Liquid Diet: Things to AVOID
Clear Juice (apple, lemonade)
Sport drinks (Gatorade, Powerade)
Flavored Drinks (Kool-Aid, MiO)
Hot Drinks (Tea, Coffee)
Things to AVOID
NO Red and Purple liquids
NO Solid Foods NO Alcohol
NO Pulp in Juice
NO Nectar Drinks
NO Dairy and Nondairy Creamer
MEDICATIONS AND DEVICES
- Diabetes medications: please contact your prescribing provider’s office for instructions on taking.
- Blood thinning medications: (Eliquis, Coumadin, Xarelto, Pradaxa, etc.) ensure you have gotten pre-procedure instructions 1 week before your procedure. If not, please call the RN line: 303-761-8336.
- Prescription weight loss medications: (Phentermine) stop at least 7 days before your procedure.
- DO NOT STOP regular medications; unless told to do so.
- take heart and blood pressure medications ACCORDING TO SCHEDULE and DO NOT MISS DOSES; unless told to do so.
- DO NOT STOP taking Naltrexone or Contrave if scheduled with Propofol. Hold Naltrexone for at least 72 hours with conscious sedation.
- INHALERS: please use your inhaler before coming in for your procedure and bring it with you.
- CPAP: FOR HOSPITAL PROCEDURES ONLY, please bring this with you.
PROCEDURE PREP INSTRUCTIONS
**PLEASE DISCARD INSTRUCTIONS INSIDE SUPREP BOX & FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THIS PAGE**
PREPARING FOR YOUR COLONOSCOPY
ONE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE:
Start a CLEAR LIQUID DIET in the morning
***If your procedure is after 12:00PM tomorrow you may have a light breakfast
(eggs, white toast) before 9:00AM today and then start a clear liquid diet. ***
DOSE 1: Start at 6:00 PM the Day Prior to Colonoscopy
- At 6:00PM prepare your prep. Pour 6oz. of suprep into the mixing container add a clear liquid of your choice to the 16 oz line and then pour into a different container. Mix the second
bottle of prep in the same manner and set aside in the refrigerator for the next morning.
- Drink all of the first 16 oz. of prep. Using a strawor chilling the prep may make it easier to drink.
- Chew 2 Simethicone/Gas-X tablets.
- Between 7:30 and 8:00PM, drink the 2nd- 16 oz.
container of water over 30 minutes.
- Between 8:30 and 9:00PM, drink the 3rd- 16 oz
of water and drink over 30 minutes.
- You may now drink any of the other clear liquids
you have chosen throughout the evening.
DOSE 2: Day of Procedure
6 Hours Prior to Colonoscopy
NO SOLID FOODS TODAY / 6 hours before your procedure:
- Remove the prepared prep from the refrigerator.
- Drink all of the second 16 oz. dose of prep. Using a straw or chilling the prep may make it easier to drink
- Chew 2 Simethicone/Gas-X tablets.
- 5 hours before your procedure: Drink two additional 16 oz. container of water over the next 1 hour.
DAY OF PROCEDURE
No gum, hard candy, chewing tobacco, cigarettes, marijuana, cigars, pipes, e-cigarettes, or illicit drugs.
*** If you have any heart, blood pressure, anti-seizure medications you may take them with small sips of water when you usually take these medications. ***
4 HOURS BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
STOP drinking all liquids, including water. This is for your safety. Anything after 4 hours can delay or cancel your procedure.
Following the second dose, your bowel movements should be clear, yellow, or tea colored. If bowel movements aren’t clear, yellow, or tea-colored, or contain any solids, please call the on-call physician: 303-788-8888 to be given further instructions or to discuss if you will need to be rescheduled.