READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS A WEEK BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
If you start blood thinner or weight loss medications after scheduling your procedure or have questions, please call our office at 303-788-8888 or visit
7 DAYS PRIOR TO PROCEDURE
- Purchase 1 box of Simethicone/Gas-X 125 mg tablets (any color/flavor is OK). You will need a total of 4 tablets for your prep.
- STOP iron supplements a week before the colonoscopy as they can be constipating.
- We recommend you avoid foods with sunflower, pumpkin, chia, flax, hemp, sesame or other small seeds. If you do eat something containing seeds you do not need to worry, we can still complete your colonoscopy as scheduled.
- If you take BLOOD THINNERS we will obtain authorization from your prescribing doctor. We will call you with specific instructions. If we have not called you within 7 days of your procedure, please call our office immediately.
- If you take Warfarin, Coumadin or Jantoven, you must have your PT/INR checked the day before your procedure. We will give you specific instructions for this test.
- DO NOT STOP heart, blood pressure or other regular medication unless your doctor instructs you to do so.
- You may continue to take aspirin as prescribed.
- If you are scheduled to have anesthesia, the anesthesiologist may contact you to review your medical history, medications and allergies.
- If you are on medication for DIABETES, check with the doctor that prescribes it because you may need a dose change the day before or the day of your procedure.
- If you take a prescription type weight loss medication such as Phentermine you must hold it for 7 days before the procedure.
- DO NOT STOP Contrave or Naltrexone.
- If you use inhalers please bring them with you. If you use a CPAP machine, please bring it with you only if you are scheduled at the hospital.
- Sedation: Conscious (goal is to keep you comfortable/you may or may not sleep) OR: Anesthesia/MAC (you will sleep) Both may leave you feeling groggy, dizzy, sleepy or nauseous. Vomiting may occur.
1 DAY BEFORE THE COLONOSCOPY
- Start on a CLEAR LIQUID diet when you get up and continue all day. Do not eat any solid foods.
- If your procedure is scheduled after 12 Noon you may have a light breakfast today before 9AM – then start clear liquids.
- You must complete this prep even if you already have diarrhea.
- YOU MAY NOT HAVE anything red or purple (as they can stay in the GI tract and look like blood), milk, milk products, non-dairy creamers, juices with pulp, nectar or alcoholic beverages.
- YOU SHOULD DRINK 8 OUNCES OF CLEAR LIQUID EVERY HOUR FROM THIS LIST:
- Clear broth (Chicken, vegetable or beef bouillon)
- Broth or consommé
- Coffee (No cream, milk or non-dairy creamer)
- Kool-Aid (No red or purple)
- White cranberry juice
- Apple juice
- Lemonade/ Limeade
- Italian Ices / Popsicles
- Hard candy
- If you are on medication for DIABETES follow your prescribing doctor’s recommendations for these medications. You should drink clear liquids with sugar because you will not be eating. If you monitor your blood sugar continue to do this at your usual times. Check your blood sugar before you leave for the procedure.
- Continue taking heart, blood pressure and time sensitive medication today and the day of the colonoscopy.
- AT 6:00 P.M. THE NIGHT BEFORE your Colonoscopy take the first dose of Plenvu. Open the carton and remove the dose 1 sachet. Pour the contents of dose 1 into the included mixing container. Add water up to the 16 ounce mark and stir until all the powder has dissolved. This may take up to approximately 8 minutes.
- Drink the 16-ounce Plenvu dose 1 solution over 30 minutes by drinking 1 glassful every 10 to 15 minutes.
- IMPORTANT: Following the Plenvu dose, drink at least 16 ounces of clear fluid over the next 30 minutes. Consume additional clear liquids throughout the evening. Chew 2 Simethicone/Gas- X tablets.
- If severe bloating, distention or abdominal pain occurs following the first dose, delay the second dose until the symptoms resolve.
DAY OF THE COLONOSCOPY
- NO SOLID FOODS
- 6 hours prior to your procedure take the second dose of Plenvu.
- Pour the contents of dose 2 into the included mixing container. Add water up to the 16-ounce mark and stir until all the powder has dissolved. This may take up to approximately 8 minutes.
- Drink the 16-ounce Plenvu dose 2 solutions over 30 minutes by drinking 1 glassful every 10 to 15 minutes.
- IMPORTANT: Following the Plenvu dose, drink at least 16 ounces of clear fluid over the next 30 minutes. Consume additional clear liquids up to 4 hours prior to the procedure. Chew 2 Simethicone/Gas-X 125 mgtablets.
- After 4 hours prior to procedure, YOU MAY NOT DRINK ANY MORE LIQUIDS, INCLUDING WATER.
- ONLY EXCEPTION: Take heart, blood pressure and anti-seizure medications with small sips of water at the time you normally would.