CAPSULE ENDOSCOPY WITH PILLCAM INSTRUCTIONS
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
If you have questions, please call our office @ 303 788 8888
or visit www.southdenvergas.com.
7 days prior to your procedures purchase the following prep medications:
- Buy One bottle of MiraLax (at least 153 grams- you will most likely have extra)
- Mylicon Drops- smallest bottle possible – you will need 1.2 ml total
Day Before Capsule Endoscopy with Pillcam:
- Breakfast– eat a normal breakfast
- Lunch– eat a light lunch before 1:00 PM
- CLEAR LIQUID DIET FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE DAY/NIGHT (nothing colored red or purple to drink)
- At 7:00 PM– Mix seven (7) capfuls of MiraLax (119 grams) with 32 oz. of water or Gatorade (NO RED/PURPLE) and drink all contents
- At 9:30 PM– Take 0.6 mL of Mylicon drops with 8 oz of water
- At 10:00 PM– NOTHING TO DRINK FROM THIS POINT ON (small sips of water with medications allowed)
Day of Capsule Endoscopy with Pillcam:
- Hold all medications until 2 hours after capsule ingestion
- Wear an upper garment of thin, natural fiber such as a T-shirt that is long enough to reach at least hip level and will not ride up above the belt.
After Capsule Ingestion:
- Resume clear liquids 2 hours after swallowing the capsule. You may take your medications at this time.
- Enjoy a light lunch and please document what you eat
- Eat a normal dinner.
- Be sure the sensor belt is tight at the waist. Do not attach anything to It.
- Check the blue flashing data recorder light every 15 minutes to be sure It Is blinking twice per second. if it stops blinking or changes color please note the time and call this#
- Avoid strong electromagnetic fields such as MRI devices and ham radios after swallowing the capsule and until you pass it in a bowel movement. ** Avoid casinos**
- Treat the Data Recorder carefully. Avoid sudden movements and banging of the Data Recorder.
- DO NOT disconnect the equipment or completely remove the Data Recorder at any time during the procedure.
- After completing the PillCam Capsule Endoscopy you will need to return all equipment to our office by the end of the work day.
**If you are not sure that the capsule has passed out of your body and you develop unexplained nausea, abdominal pain or vomiting, contact us at 303-788-8888.