EGD (ESOPHAGOGASTRODUODENOSCOPY) INSTRUCTIONS
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS A WEEK BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
If you start blood thinner or weight loss medications after scheduling your procedure or have questions,
please call our office @ 303 788 8888
or visit www.southdenvergas.com.
7 DAYS PRIOR TO PROCEDURE
- STOP iron supplements a week before the EGD as they can be constipating.
- If you take BLOOD THINNERS we will obtain authorization from your prescribing doctor. We will call you with specific instructions. If we have not called you within 7 days of your procedure, please call our office immediately.
- If you take Warfarin, Coumadin or Jantoven, you must have your PT/INR checked the day before your procedure. We will give you specific instructions for this test.
- DO NOT STOP heart, blood pressure or other regular medication unless your doctor instructs you to do so.
- You may continue to take aspirin as prescribed.
- If you are scheduled to have anesthesia, the anesthesiologist may contact you to review your medical history, medications and allergies.
- If your are on medication for DIABETES, check with the doctor that prescribes it because you may need a dose change the day before or the day of your procedure.
- If you take a prescription type weight loss medication such as Phentermine you must hold it for 7 days before the procedure.
- DO NOT STOP Contrave or Naltrexone.
- If you use inhalers please bring them with you. If you use a CPAP machine, please bring it with you, only if you are scheduled at the hospital.
- Sedation: Conscious (goal is to keep you comfortable/you may or may not sleep) OR : Anesthesia/MAC (you will sleep). Both may leave you feeling groggy, dizzy, sleepy or nauseous. Vomiting may occur.
1 DAY BEFORE THE EGD
- It is important for the stomach to be empty so the physician can see the entire are and to prevent the possibility of vomiting during the procedure.
- NO SOLID FOOD AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR EGD.
- YOU MAY HAVE CLEAR LIQUIDS FROM THIS LIST UNTIL 4 HOURS BEFORE THE PROCEDURE:
- Clear broth (chicken, vegetable or beef bouillon)
- Coffee (no cream, milk or non-dairy creamer)
- White cranberry juice
- Italian Ices/popsicles
- Broth or consommé
- Apple juice
- Kool-Aid/Gatorade/PowerAde (NO RED OR PURPLE)
- Hard candy
- YOU MAY NOT HAVE anything red or purple (as they can stay in the GI tract and look like blood), milk, milk products, non-dairy creamers, juice with pulp, nectar or alcoholic beverages.
THE DAY OF THE EGD
- AFTER 4 hours prior to your procedure YOU MAY NOT DRINK ANY MORE LIQUIDS, INCLUDING WATER.
- You may brush your teeth and rinse your mouth but do not swallow liquids.
- ONLY EXCEPTIONS:
- Take heart, blood pressure and anti-seizure medications with small sips of water at the time you normally would.