READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS A WEEK BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
If you start blood thinner or weight loss medications after scheduling your procedure, or have questions, please call our office at 303-788-8888 or visit www.southdenvergi.com
7 DAYS PRIOR TO PROCEDURE
- Purchase 1 box of Simethicone/Gas-X 125 mg tablets (any color / flavor is OK). You will need a total of 4 tablets for your prep.
- STOP iron supplements a week before the colonoscopy as they can be constipating.
- We recommend you avoid foods with sunflower, pumpkin, chia, flax, hemp, sesame or other small seeds. If you do eat something containing seeds you do not need to worry, we can still complete your colonoscopy as scheduled.
- If you take BLOOD THINNERS we will obtain authorization from your prescribing doctor. We will call you with specific instructions. If we have not called you within 7 days of your procedure, please call our office immediately.
- If you take Warfarin, Coumadin, or Jantoven, you must have your PT/INR checked the day before your procedure. We will give you specific instructions for this test.
- DO NOT STOP heart, blood pressure or other regular medication unless your doctor instructs you to do so.
- You may continue to take aspirin as prescribed.
- If you are scheduled to have anesthesia, the anesthesiologist may contact you to review your medical history, medications and allergies.
- If you are on medication for DIABETES, check with the doctor that prescribes it because you may need a dose change the day before or the day of your procedure.
- If you take a prescription type weight loss medication such as Phentermine you must hold it for 7 days before the procedure.
- DO NOT STOP Contrave or Naltrexone.
- If you use inhalers please bring them with you. If you use a CPAP machine, please bring it with you, only if you are scheduled at the hospital.
- Sedation: Conscious (goal is to keep you comfortable / you may or may not sleep) OR: Anesthesia/MAC (you will sleep) Both may leave you feeling groggy, dizzy, sleepy, nauseous. Vomiting may occur.
1 DAY BEFORE THE COLONOSCOPY
- Start on a CLEAR LIQUID diet when you get up and continue all day. Do not eat any solid foods.
- You must complete this prep even if you already have diarrhea.
- YOU MAY NOT HAVE anything red or purple (as they can stay in the GI tract and look like blood), milk, milk products, non-dairy creamers, juices with pulp, nectar or alcoholic beverages.
- YOU SHOULD DRINK 8 OUNCES OF CLEAR LIQUID EVERY HOUR FROM THIS LIST:
- Clear broth (chicken, vegtable or beef bouillon)
- Broth or Consommé
- hard candy
- Kood-Aid (NO red or purple)
- Apple juice
- Italian ices/popsicles
- Coffee (no cream, milk or non-dairy creamer)
- White cranberry juice
- If you are on medication for DIABETES follow your prescribing doctor’s recommendations for these medications. You should drink clear liquids with sugar because you will not be eating. If you monitor your blood sugar continue to do this at your usual times. Check your blood sugar before you leave for the procedure.
- Continue taking heart, blood pressure and time sensitive medication today and the day of the colonoscopy.
- AT 6:00 P.M. THE NIGHT BEFORE your Colonoscopy, drink one bottle of the Clenpiq (right from the bottle).
- Drink 40 oz, (5, 8 oz cups) of clear liquids over the next 5 hours.
- Chew 2 Simethicone/Gas- X tablets
THE DAY OF THE COLONOSCOPY
- NO SOLID FOODS
- 6 hours prior to procedure drink the second bottle of Clenpiq (right from the bottle)
- Drink at least 24 oz. (3, 8 oz cups of clear liquids up until 4 hours prior to your procedure.
- Chew 2 simethicone/gas x tablets.
- Your stools should now be watery, clear/yellow. If your bottom is sore you may use a wet washcloth, A&D Ointment, Preparation H or a similar cream.
- 4 hours prior to procedure, YOU MAY NOT DRINK ANY MORE LIQUIDS, INCLUDING WATER
- ONLY EXCEPTION:
- Take Heart, Blood Pressure, Anti-seizure medications with small sips of water at the time you normally would.